I’ve owned LOTS of Macs but some were just pieces of what could be called a collection. This is a list of Macs I’ve owned that I was actually actively using.
In chronological order:
1) Power Macintosh 7100 The family computer. Ran OS7 and I think I upgraded it to OS8.
2) Mac Classic The First computer I ever bought myself.
3) PowerBook G3 “Wallstreet Series II” This was the computer I went to film school with, started my NLE career with, discovered digital photography with, and was the first computer I ever did any hardware hacking on. Upgraded it from OS9 to an early version of OSX that I had to install on a partition. This was the computer I was using when iTunes was first introduced to the world.
4) Beige PowerMac G3 desktop I got this for free (or near enough) when the PBS affiliate I worked for was unloading unused computers to employees.
5) Titanium PowerBook G4 This was the computer that I launched my post production career with. My wife used it for years after I was done with it.
6) Aluminum 17” PowerBook G4 This beast launched my freelance career and I cut two features on it in Avid and FCP.
7) intel Core 2 Duo 20” iMac At the time (2006) this baby was a huge leap forward. The performance was insane compared to the PPC chips I was accustomed to. I still have this thing on my desk but it barely operates and now just functions as a file server. Soon it will be recycled.
8) 13” MacBook Pro I’m writing on this right now. It’s a great little machine for photography work and light editing tasks. It reflects how my at home needs have changed over the years. Most of my clients have fairly high end suites in house now that I use so at home I wanted something that would free me from my desk and allow me to spend time with my wife even if I had some work to do. Also this machine reflects my renewed interest in photography and was bought primarily for that purpose. I’ve done some pretty extensive (for a Mac) upgrades to this system.
9) ?? I’m not sure yet. I’d like another desktop if for no other reason than to manage my storage and media. A (hopefully soon) upgraded Mac Mini would be ideal but boy those new iMacs are tempting beasts.